St. Agatha Church at Douglas Boulevard and Kedzie Avenue was founded in 1893 to serve Irish families who had moved into the Lawndale area near Douglas Park on the west side of Chicago. Today St. Agatha is a mostly African American parish serving families who live in the area. In July, 2005, based on an archdiocesan decision to reduce the number of West Side parishes with declining membership, the nearby parishes of Blessed Sacrament, Our Lady of Lourdes and Presentation united with St. Agatha to become one parish community. In 2007, the school was renamed Saint Agatha Catholic Academy, continuing the legacy of quality Catholic education since 1893. Today St. Agatha is a predominantly African American congregation of approximately 300 families building a dream together, walking in faith, moving forward with Christ.
One of the ways that St. Mary parish assists St. Agatha parish is by donating to their food pantry. Non-perishable food items can be dropped off outside the Oak Room before Mass. A monthly delivery of all donated items is made on the third Sunday of the month.
For more information, or to volunteer to deliver the food items to St. Agatha’s, please contact Sr. Margaret at the St. Mary Parish Offices, 708.447.1020.
St. Agatha Parish
3147 W. Douglas Blvd.
Saint Agatha Catholic Academy