Join us on March 25, 2017, as we support St. Mary School and celebrate St. Patrick’s Day!
First Day of the School Year 2016 – 2017
The excitement of summer lingers as we start the 4th Annual Walkathon and continues as we meet up with our 1st Grade partners.
Meet Your Teacher
Welcome to my class 2016 – 2017
My name is Mrs. Keehn and I am very blessed to teach Religion to the 6th, 7th and 8th grade students at St. Mary. The students are thoughtful and generous in spirit. I have been touched by their kindness and I am grateful to have them in my life and to share the faith with them. Thank you to all.
any questions – email me at [email protected].
2016-2017 Confirmation Updates (10/9/16)
Students preparing for Confirmation may attend either Rite of Candidacy Mass the week-end of October 15th. Mass will be at 5:00pm, Saturday, October 15, 2016 or Mass at 5:00pm, Sunday, October 16,2016.
- Students are to return the Confirmation Candidacy Covenant form in class, by 10/13/16.
- Students are writing a letter to our pastor, Father May, to ask if the parish will accept them as candidates for Confirmation. The rough draft is due in class on Wednesday, October 12th; the final copy will be turned in on Friday, October 14th before the student leaves school.
8th Grade / Summer Opportunities – due 8/29/16
8th Graders – Enjoy your summer, but remember as you travel and spend time reading and continuing your education, to complete the Summer Opportunities packet. (the packet text follows:)
In the Strength of His Love …. “Spirit of truth promised by Christ, open our minds and hearts so that we may spread the faith by word and action..”
The following “Spiritual Growth Opportunities” will help you continue to reflect about how God is actively present in your life right now. A closer awareness of God in your life will help you to renew your Baptismal Promises with conviction on Confirmation Day.
The Summer Opportunities packet is due, in class, on Monday, August 29th. This is a graded assignment, worth 105 points. Completing the assignment over the summer months will make the transition into the 8th grade school year very smooth.
- Choose any two of the following (4) activities as part of your report for the Summer Opportunities.
- Read from the Bible:
Read one chapter (or one psalm) each day. Do this for ten days. Choose one of the following Books of the Bible to read and report about: Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Psalms, Genesis, James, Corinthians. Read ten consecutive chapters or any ten psalms. Now that you have read God’s Word, what do you think God wants you to know or do? Write a reflection for the readings from each day. The reflections are each a short paragraph.
- List the Corporal or the Spiritual works of Mercy. Give 2 specific examples of how a young person your age can accomplish each of these works. Then carry out one of your examples and write a brief reflection on your experience (1 page). [This action is separate from and not a part of the hours required for the Confirmation Works of Mercy report.]
- At Confirmation each candidate will be anointed and the bishop recites these words: “Be sealed with the gift of the Holy Spirit.” Learn more about the Holy Spirit from Scripture. Read the following passages from the Old and New Testaments, reflect on the passages and state the main point of the passage in one or two sentences. When you have completed the readings, summarize your new awareness of the Holy Spirit’ action in your life.
|The Promise of the Holy Spirit in the Old and New Testaments
||The coming of the Holy Spirit
||The Role of the Holy Spirit
|Responsibility of Christians to the Holy Spirit
- A Book Report:
There are several recent books written by Pope Francis which focus on discipleship in the Church. Confirmation is preparing us for evangelization and to be God’s Disciples. Write a two page book report summarizing the Pope’s message to us.
Books you may choose from include, but are not limited to:
The Joy of Discipleship by Pope Francis
Laudato Si: On Care For Our Common Home by Pope Francis
Lumen Fidei – The Light of Faith – Encyclical Letter from Pope Francis
On Heaven and Earth: Pope Francis on Faith, Family ….
Nine Words by Allen Hunt (Nine words describe the-best-version-of-yourself®. Saint Paul shares nine words in his letter to the Galatians.)
** (If you choose a book that is not on the list, it must be approved prior to submitting it for credit as part of the Summer Opportunities packet.)
- Choose one of the following 2 activities as part of your report for the Summer Opportunities.
Write about a church you visit during vacation or a basilica or cathedral that you visit this summer.
- Visit a basilica or cathedral while on vacation. You may go to Holy Name Cathedral in Chicago.. If you can, attend Mass at the basilica or cathedral. Take pictures. Write 3 paragraphs: First, describe the basilica or cathedral and tell why it is called a basilica or cathedral – not just a church; Second – compare the basilica or cathedral with St. Mary Church; Third – contrast the two churches. Get a bulletin. Turn in your report, a photo and the bulletin.
B While you are on vacation, go to Mass at the local Catholic church. Get a bulletin. Take pictures. Write 3 paragraphs: First – tell about the church (research, get history, talk with church members or the pastor); Second – compare your vacation church with our church; Third – contrast the two churches. Turn in your report, a photo, and the bulletin.
The Summer Opportunities assignment consists of three separate activities, two from part I, and one from part II. Due 8/29/16.