St. Mary School is operated under the auspices of the Catholic Bishop of Chicago, a corporation sole, in the Archdiocese of Chicago. St. Mary School admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students in this school. St. Mary School does not discriminate on basis of gender, race, color, or national and ethnic origin in administration of educational or employment policies, athletic or other school-administered programs.
The law in Illinois states two options for admission to pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, or first grade:
- Observe the September 1st cutoff date with no exceptions.
- Observe the September 1st cutoff date as the general rule and make exceptions by allowing a child to be tested. A local assessment tool may be used in determining a child’s readiness for early age admission.
For purposes of new admissions to St. Mary School, a primary registration period will be scheduled each year (late January to mid-February). Children registered at this time will be considered for admission in accordance with the following order of priority.
- Children currently enrolled at St. Mary School (1-8).
- Brothers and sisters of students presently in grades 1-8.
- Children entering school for the first time, whose parents are active, registered members of St. Mary Parish (regular attendance at mass, as well as financial support of parish).
- Transfer students from other Catholic schools, or from schools that are merging, consolidating, or closing.
- Transfer students from public schools whose parents are active, registered members of St. Mary Parish.
- Catholic students whose parents are not registered members of St. Mary Parish.
- Non-Catholic students
- New students and those transferring to St. Mary School will be admitted if there are openings at the appropriate grade levels as specified in the Class Size Policy.
- Parents must present an official copy of the child’s birth certificate and baptismal record (if applicable) by the first day of school.
- For admission of a pre-k, kindergarten, sixth grade, or a transfer student from out of state, parents shall present a record of compliance with local and State of Illinois health requirements. (St. Mary School should receive the above documentation prior to the first day of attendance or your child will not be admitted to class.)
- Each transfer student K-8 will be admitted to St. Mary School if, after reviewing academic and health records from the transferring school, the principal makes a determination that St. Mary’s academic program is appropriate for the child.
- Transfer students who have outstanding financial obligations at another Archdiocesan school will not be accepted at St. Mary School until satisfactory arrangements have been made to fulfill those obligations and make required payments of tuition and fees at St. Mary School.
- In cases of mergers, consolidation, and students coming from parishes which have no schools, reasonable financial arrangements to offset per pupil costs shall be agreed upon between pastors of the sending and receiving parishes.
- Children who register after the primary registration period will be accepted only if there are openings in the classes requested. Otherwise, they will be put on a waiting list and will be accepted according to the date of completed registration as openings occur.
- A commitment is made on the part of the child’s parent(s)/guardian(s) to support St. Mary School’s mission and philosophy and to comply with the policies and procedures contained in the Parent-Student Handbook.