This Monday, August 21st we welcome back the faculty, staff and students of St. Mary School. Where did those weeks of summer go? This year we open our … [Read More...]
School Advisory Board
The Mission of the School Advisory Board (SAB) is to provide a voice in the leadership and policy setting activities of the school. Working as advisors to and collaborators with our Pastor and Principal, Advisory Board members provide an example of Catholic leadership and service for the Parish, School and community. As leaders, Advisory Board Members promote the faith, traditions, and moral values which the Parish is trying to instill in the students of St. Mary School.
The SAB meets on the 2nd Monday of each month, August through June, at 6:30 pm in the Meeting Room adjacent to the school office. Meetings are open for all school and parish community members to attend.
In May of each year, the school administration, supported by SAB, presents the State of the School. This year’s presentation was given on May 25, 2016 and is available here.
The primary work of the SAB is done through committees and we actively welcome interested contributors! We encourage parents and parishioners to participate on committees – it is a great way to advance the needs of the School and strengthen our School community. While the committees will evolve to meet the changing needs of the School, the following are the primary committees:
- Finance – Mike O’Connor
- Development and Fundraising – Jane Birmingham and Debbie Durrer
- Technology – Richard Robledo
- Marketing – Nancy DeFauw
For more information about the SAB or its committees, please contact Nancy DeFauw (email@example.com)
The current SAB members are:
Terry Coffey – Terry joined the SAB in the 2015-2016 school year and has been a parishioner since 2004. She is a retired early education teacher who has also taught primary grades. She has her M.S. Ed. from Loyola and her Master’s degree from the University of Illinois in Champaign. Terry looks forward to continuing to build strong relationships between the school and parish communities.
Nancy DeFauw – Nancy is the incoming SAB chair for 2016-17. Nancy has 3 children at St. Mary’s in First (twins) and Third grade (oldest daughter.) She has a dual B.A. in History and Economics from Knox College. Nancy has been self-employed since 2006 as a quantitative strategist working with both for-profit and non-profit businesses. She specializes in moving projects out of the idea phase and into implementation. On the advisory board, Nancy chairs the Marketing committee.
Liz Durkin – Liz is a lifetime parishioner of St. Mary and joined the School Advisory Board in 2012. She has four alumni of St. Mary and a daughter currently in first grade. Liz has her Master’s in Education, with a focus on Curriculum and Instruction, from the University of Illinois and is currently teaching sixth grade math.
Debbie Durrer – Debbie joined the school board in 2013 after coordinating the 2012 Annual Fund campaign. Nearly two decades of working in non-profits and serving on non-profit boards has afforded Debbie extensive experience in nonprofit management with expertise in fundraising. She is currently the Development Director for a national research foundation and has a daughter in second grade at St. Mary.
Richard Robledo – Richard joined the SAB in 2015 and chairs the Technology Committee. He is a Network Analyst for a suburban high school district and has more than 10 years working in the technology sector for both for-profit and nonprofit ventures. Richard has been an active member, and is currently the Treasurer of the St. Mary Knights of Columbus. Richard has a daughter in 3rd grade and son in 1st grade at St. Mary’s.
Jennifer Fangmann – Jennifer joined the SAB in 2015 and is co-leading the school’s long-range planning effort. She and husband, Bill, joined St Mary Parish after moving to Berwyn in 1996. They have been involved with St. Mary School since 2007 and currently have four daughters attending St Mary. Jennifer has been active in both Parish and School, serving as a Girl Scout leader; on the Service Outreach Committee; and most recently, leading the development of a campus Master Plan – the first steps of which are currently the focus of the active Parish Capital Campaign. Jennifer has a BFA in Interior Design from Iowa State University and has a 25-year career managing corporate space utilization for Fortune 500 companies as an Associate with Whitney Architects in Oak Brook.
Michael O’Connor – Mike chairs the Finance committee and is Managing Director at Stout Risius Ross, Inc. Mike has three sons at St. Mary.
Rudy Robles – Rudy joined the School Advisory Board in August 2015 and serves on the SAB Finance Committee. Rudy is a Finance Manager at McDonald’s Corporation and has over 20 years of financial experience, the last 15 years at McDonald’s Corporation. He has a BS in Accountancy from University of Illinois – Champaign/Urbana and an MBA from DePaul University. Rudy has served on non-profit boards. His two sons attend St. Mary.
Note: The Principal is responsible for developing procedures to implement policies adopted by the Board.
Public Relations, Enrollment, and Marketing
Works with the Principal to promote, market, and recruit in the Parish and local communities. Responsibilities include:
- Increasing public awareness of St. Mary School, its successes and major events
- Promoting the brand of the School (e.g., logos, colors, newsletters, etc.)
- Marketing the School to the Parish and local communities
- Increasing enrollment and retention
- Capturing and analyzing feedback from potential, current, and past stakeholders (e.g., parents, students) regarding School performance and improvement opportunities
- Welcoming prospective and new families to the School
Works with the Principal and Parish Finance Committee to help ensure short-term and long-term financial stability, responsibilities include:
- Preparing the annual School budget
- Determining tuition rates and fees
- Monitoring, communicating, and managing financial performance
- Providing advice and counsel on the potential financial impact of proposed policies, programs, and events
- Assisting, as needed, with the management of School funds
Works with the Principal and selected Faculty to evolve technology capabilities of the School. Responsibilities include:
- Identifying and evaluating potential new and/or enhanced technology appropriate for the School
- Developing/Evolving a Technology Plan to introduce and/or enhance technology capabilities
- Developing recommendations for near- and longer-term technology investments
- Working with the Principal, the Finance Advisory Committee, and the School Finance Committee to identify sources of funds for recommended Technology Plan investments
- Implementing the Technology Plan
- Participating in educating faculty/staff, students, and parents in potential, planned, and acquired technology capabilities
Works with the Principal and the parent/parish community to identify potential areas for improvement, conduct analyses, and provide recommendations.